Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I am not a victim of anxiety anymore.

I cannot express my gratitude for the feelings I have today. I would have never guessed a year ago that I would be where I am at. Almost one year ago, the announcement the Church made of the age change for missionaries go serve missions at a younger age. First of all, I remember watching General Conference by myself in my apartment and I fell to my knees crying. The glories moment, even now when I listen to it I'm overwhelmed with joy.  
In one year I've been able to experience enough. A large scale of dating someone serious to having my papers in and just waiting the moment of the white envelope to show up. Although it never did appear. 
I'm still dreaming of this moment. That moment will finally be happening because I finished therapy. I will not be resubmitting my mission papers till November. But I will hopefully be going if it's in the Lord's grand plan for me. (I'm still praying it is & it would help if you did too). 
It seems like a dream to me, as I walked out of the building from therapy tonight it didn't seem real. Being at the finish line it's hard for me to even remember how I allowed myself to become so weak. But thankfully my Heavenly Father is aware that I may become weak. I'm even more thankful that he allowed me to be able to change. It was not an easy change, but I am so thankful I was able to overcome my anxiety. 
I know many people in the last few months that have asked me how I've overcome it. So I'm just going to tell you the different methods I use. 
Please keep in mind that this might not help you. My anxiety came from lack of control, and magnifying each situation.
1. Breathing (start by breathing out, and making sure that when you breath in it's one second longer than you were breathing out).
2. Meditation. (imagine a beach). 
3. Your safe place or a place where you are happy. (Mine is Italy, dancing, San Diego beach or being at a football game).
4.  Is this going to matter in 3 days?
5. Realizing how your physical symptoms happen- that they will not last forever
6. Angel and Devil from Empires New Groove (Devil being your anxiety).
7. Recognizing that there is positive and negative worrying. 
Now if your anxiety is bad enough PLEASE go see a therapist. I would have never gone and I didn't think they were even important but if you make the effort and try to allow the methods to help you they can. 
If anyone has questions about one of the methods I mentioned send me a message and I'll try and explain it to you more.  

Maybe use this as my new missionary picture?? ;)
Thank you for your love and support you've shown me at this time. I couldn't be here without the prayers many of you have said in my behalf. I've been able to grow closer to my Heavenly Father during this trial and I couldn't be happier that He understands me the best. He knows the pains I have experienced. And that's why he is mine and your Heavenly Father. 
Also here is my Mormon.org page. Click Here Go read it! I'm a Mormon and I'm proud to be one. 

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your story, Stress and anxiety is normal when you are confronted with an uncertain situation. The insecurity causes stress and stress is a normal part of daily life.Even though some people do not realize it, fear and anxiety are a normal part of life.

    ReplyDelete